Sunday 29 April 2012

Mini Egg Cupcakes and Scrumptious Scones

Hello everyone, massive apologies for my lack of blogging recently. I can make a million excuses but instead I'm going to skip straight over this and update you on my baking delights!


My first baking mission was to bake some special Easter themed treats! I was torn between simple chick shapes biscuits or vanilla cupcakes with a mini egg twist... I think you can tell from the photo which idea I went with. One of the main reasons why I went with the cupcakes Is because they are just much more fun, and I had a evil bag of mini eggs staring at me everyday, so by putting them on cupcakes they seemed more friendly and I could share they joy.



Yet again, the basic vanilla cupcake recipe came from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook. It is my go-to book for cupcakes and for the first time I managed to really concentrate and make the perfect batch of 12, so they were the right size and consistency. More importantly I restrained myself this time and I didn't over do it on the vanilla extract and I now understand less is more! I used be a little sneaky and add 1/2 teaspoon more than the recipe stated and the same in the icing. I thought it would make them taste better, but I can now safely say that these Easter cupcakes were delicious with the right amount!



I was thinking about making chocolate cupcakes so that it would go better with the chocolate mini eggs, but I wanted to play around with a colour scheme. I had just received a new 2 tiered cake stand that was pink and white, new pink and white polka dot cupcake cases, so you guessed it, I wanted to make pink and white icing. Not only did the whole theme work really well, but the pastel colours of the mini eggs looked much prettier against a pale background. Only a select few friends were special enough to have these little gems, but they still went down a storm!

Now for my most recent baking accomplishments....

Me and my good friend Hannah, usually have a tea and cake day about once a month, hunting out the best cake shops in Bath. This week, however, the weather, money and Hannah being a tad poorly, meant that we decided to have a nice chilled out movie and baking day, and what did we make... scones!


It was my first ever attempt at making scones and I think I did alright! They were so unbelievably simple to make and took no time at all! For the first time I actually managed to track down Buttermilk in Morrison's, well, actually Hannah did with her beady little eyes! I also treated myself to some scrumptious clotted cream, which is a bit of given with scones, and some extra special strawberry jam!

I think as it was my first attempt they wouldn't win any prizes, but they were a perfect little cheer up treat for two very worn out lasses! A few things I would perhaps adjust for next time, is that I would use a larger pastry cutter as these scones turned out a little on the wee side, but they looked cute so I don't mind. I would also keep a better eye on the timer as the last three were a little more cooked than the others... but who cares they still tasted delicious! I'm eating my last one as I write this post!



Sorry again, for such a big gap between posts, but I am making a promise right here to try and bake every Saturday, funds and exhaustion permitted, and blog the following day to keep you updated on my baking adventures! Next week, sausage rolls...

No comments:

Post a Comment